Belaboring the Obvious

Monday, August 21, 2006

Hammer, Meet Nail

Jonathan Alter (via TPM), wrote last month in Newsweek that the members of Congress voting to sustain Bush's veto on stem cell research should take the following pledge:

“Because of my strong opposition to embryonic-stem-cell research, I hereby pledge that should I, at any point in the future, develop diabetes, cancer, spinal-cord injuries or Parkinson’s, among other diseases, I will refuse any and all treatments derived from such research, at home or abroad, even if it costs me my life. Signed, ______”


M'self, I don't think that goes nearly far enough. It ought to read:

"Because of my strong opposition to embryonic-stem-cell research, I hereby pledge that should I or any member of my family, present or future, at any point in the future, develop diabetes, cancer, spinal-cord injuries or Parkinson’s, among other diseases found to be treatable through methods derived from stem cell research, I will refuse any and all treatments derived from such research, on my behalf or on behalf of any family member, at home or abroad, even if it costs me my life or the life of a loved one. Signed, ______”

And it ought to be signed by not only the idiots in Congress, but by Bush, as well--because that's exactly what he and these bozos have decided for all the rest of us for no other reason than political pandering to an extremist religious minority. This proposed pledge will be an excuse for the wackadoos on the political and religious right to scream PERSECUTION in all caps at the top of their lungs, anyway, so, might as well nail `em to this cross with the big spikes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home